Velas – Where the Life Begins !! Get Ready to Witness the Wonderful Life Of Turtles now..
About Velas Turtle Festival :
Velas is a small eco-village in Ratnagiri district which is famous for the Olive Ridley turtle population that visits the Velas beach every year and lays their eggs. At Velas, turtle conservation movement is undertaken by the villagers. An NGO named Sahyadri Nisargmitra then Regional Forest Officers (RFO) started the conservation and now the Velas Grampanchayat and villagers committee has taken the initiative to conserve Olive Ridley Turtles by providing protection to their eggs. Each year, the tiny village of Velas, in Maharashtra, bears witness to a truly heart-warming sight as thousands of newly hatched Olive Ridley turtles take their first steps towards the big blue sea. The start of life afresh! Third Eye Explorers welcomes all the nature lover for this year’s turtle festival, as we take you on a truly unforgettable journey to witness these exquisite creatures take tiny footsteps in the vast, white sands of the Konkan.
Ecotourism in Velas :
Velas is not only home to turtles but also to a myriad of bird species including the White Bellied Sea Eagle, White Backed Vulture, and Indian Swiftlet. Accommodation in local home-stays will add a truly warm touch to the experience. When you are done with turtle sightings, there is so much more in store including village walk, trip to the historic Bankot Fort and Harihareshwar Temple and some truly authentic Konkani cuisine to satiate your taste buds.
Category: Eco Tours
Dates: 20-21st March (Customized Group Tour available)
Duration: 2 Nights/ 2 Days
Day 00 – Friday :
Late night departure from Mumbai by 10:30 pm to Velas by AC luxury bus.
Day 01 – Saturday
We will reach Velas eco-village by 06:00 am after a bumpy ride. Visit Velas beach to witness those tiny turtle taking their first step. Post sightings, briefing session about Olive Ridley Turtle and fight for their existence. Move towards our Konkani house accommodation. Freshen Up and unload your bag-packs. Have homely breakfast and introduction session. Proceed to visit Bankot Fort which is well known for its history and breathtaking view of Velas beach and Harihareshwar Temple. Back to our dwelling homestay for Konkani lunch. Post lunch, rest till evening. Visit Velas beach by evening looking for more sightings of olive ridley turtle hatching. Late evening will be dedicated to a documentary based on Journey of turtles. Enjoy the group games, stories and experiences to be shared till dinner. Dinner and rest.
Day 02 – Sunday
Early morning wake up with a hope of sighting those baby turtles again. Post sighting session we will have breakfast and leave for Harihareshwar. Experience one of the interesting part of trip where our bus will be transferred from one district to another in a jetty via sea route. Explore Harihareshwar Temple and beach. Have lunch and leave for Mumbai. Reach Mumbai by 9-10 pm around.
Charges: Rs. 2900/-pp
1. Accommodation in a typical Konkani house on homestay sharing basis. (Velas is an eco-tourism village and separate rooms / hotel accommodation is not available)
2. Transportation from Mumbai to Mumbai by AC luxury Bus.
3. Konkani veg Meals on tour. (Breakfast, Dinner & Lunch)
4. Sightseeing and entry tickets, wherever necessary
5. Ferryboat Charges & entry tickets
6. Third Eye Explorers’ Expertise
Anythings other than above mentioned inclusions.
1. The tour dates have been planned after precise calculation of probable hatching dates and as per the information provided by volunteers and researchers at Velas however turtle sightings is a natural phenomena and is matter of luck.
2. Considering safety and security measure, it is strictly not permitted to swim at Velas beach.
3. Moreover, we expect our travellers to take this a complete ecotourism experience, enjoy & explore every bit of the tour and think beyond “just sightings”. There is a lot to enjoy in this short tour so Let’s be travellers, not Tourists 🙂
4. As it is totally eco-destination, we provide accommodation in Konkani houses on homestay sharing basis. Food is hygienic and prepared in authentic spices by Konkani Brahmin hosts at Velas village, Ratnagiri.
Things To Carry:
1. Extra pair of clothes
2. Dry Food / Snacks and Water Bottle
3. Sanitary kit
4. Cap, Glares, Sunscreen, moisturizer etc.
5.Torch with extra battery
6. Sturdy shoes Or Kitos
7. Rugsack to carry things
8. Music, Power-Bank, Camera, Binoculars – Optional
9. Electoral Powder / Glucon D / Tang / Energy Bar etc.
10. ID Proof (Pan card/Aadhar/ Driving License)